aaha
If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

(940) 692-7000

Pet Poison Treatment at Callfield Companion Animal Clinic

Toxic ingestion is one of the most common reasons we see dog and cat patients in our office. At Callfield Companion Animal Clinic, we're experienced in treating pets that have ingested a wide variety of poisonous substances. Our emergency veterinarian can care for your pet, but it's key that you get it to us as soon as possible. Paying attention to your pet's actions and behaviors are the most important step in making sure they don't suffer permanent damage from any type of poisoning.

kitten being examined by a veterinarian after ingesting toxic food

Pet Poisons

Dogs and cats will eat or drink a surprising number of toxic substances, poisoning themselves in the process. While it's impossible for owners to keep every dangerous substance out of the reach of their pets, it is important for them to know what could hurt their dog or cat. Some of the most common pet poisons are:

  • Household chemicals: cleaning supplies, bug sprays, drain cleaner
  • Houseplants: ivy, aloe, chamomile
  • Prescription medication: human, animal
  • Foods: garlic, grapes, onion, raisins, sugarless gum, chocolate
  • Outdoor chemicals: pool cleaning supplies, antifreeze, insecticide, rodent poisons

Signs and Symptoms of Poisoning

Not every pet displays symptoms when they've ingested something poisonous. It all depends on what they eat or drink, and how much of it they take in. Some of the more common symptoms are lack of appetite, increased thirst, shaking or seizure, diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, whining, and hiding. It's important that you watch your pet's environment, looking for signs that it has gotten into a forbidden package. Plastic bottles with teeth marks, ripped or torn bags, or spilled ingredients.

If you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous, don't hesitate to act. Put your dog or cat somewhere safe, such as a closed bedroom, and call an emergency veterinarian. The vet's staff will give you further instructions on how to care for your pet.

Looking for a Wichita Falls Veterinarian?

Our Wichita Falls veterinarian can care for emergency cases such as poison ingestion during our regular office hours. For any questions or to make an appointment, call our office at (940) 692-7000 today.

New clients receive a FREE night of boarding.

Office Hours

DayOpenClose
Monday85
Tuesday85
Wednesday85
Thursday85
Friday85
SaturdayClosedClosed
SundayClosedClosed
Day Open Close
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
8 8 8 8 8 Closed Closed
5 5 5 5 5 Closed Closed

What can we help you find?